Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Trampoline Continued

Scooter seems to think we're over-protective. And, you know, fair enough. When I was Emma's age I rode my bike all over our Los Angeles neighborhood, and jumped off of the second floor of construction sites into dirt piles that probably contained all sorts of sharp, rusty things. Kristi lived in the country, and did tire rolls in tractor tires, etc. Yeah, we lived dangerously.

On the other hand, I did know kids who were injured doing stupid things. If I remember correctly, a girl around the corner from us broke several bones trying to skateboard down Overland Hill between Palms and Venice -- and that was before they leveled off the top of it. And I seem to remember a kid getting injured/killed in a car-bike collision on our block. Dave will doubtless be able to fill in details on both incidents, and possibly others.

And I can't help the fact that I went to law school. I know what an attractive nuisance is. Believe me, an unsupervised trampoline with overhanging tree branches qualifies. And I know that the proper response to an attractive nuisance by the owner thereof is to make reasonable efforts to impede access to it, not to send out invitations.

What the folks next door do with their trampoline, and how they raise their kids, is their business. But, as I said before, by inviting everybody else's kids to come violate the manufacturer's warnings with them, they're creating problems for every (over-protective) parent around them.