Saturday, June 30, 2007

Blogging has slipped again ...

As if anyone cares.

I rode to work yesterday -- only the second time this year, but I'm doing better than last year, so I suppose I shouldn't complain. Today, I volunteered to basically repeat the ride; Kristi had three books being held for her at the Westcott branch of Dakota County library, right down the street from Thomson-West, and one of them was coming off its hold at the end of the day today. So I got back on the bike and trundled off across two rivers again.

It was a nice ride, about 22 miles round trip. Much of it was on my regular commute route. But while I normally have the bridges and trails by the river to myself on my morning commute (and nearly to myself in the afternoon), on a Saturday morning there are all kinds of people about. Not just bicyclists, either -- lots of inline skaters to share the path with. Inline skaters, in my experience, aren't really good about this; they shoot back and forth across the entire width of a 7- or 8-foot-wide bike path, and appear downright resentful when they have to coast for a moment to let a bicycle past. Imagine the nerve! A bicyclist, on the bicycle path! Nor did the bicyclists themselves come off particularly well. Word: I don't care how much in love you are, you don't ride next to each other on a narrow bike path, especially when there's another cyclist riding right at you less than 50 feet away. Sheesh. For once, the drivers came off much more polite and aware than did the riders.

The ride itself felt great; surprisingly, I felt stronger than I had during the Friday commute. I'm hoping to bike-commute again on Monday

Labels: