Sunday, September 26, 2004

Saturday

Saturday morning, mom and I took Emma to the Children's Museum. There she got to see how Ming grew up; apparently, this is a typical Malaysian home:



We learned a lot -- for instance, that Ming fishes using a magnet at the end of a piece of string. I never knew that.

After the educational trip, we picked up Kristi and drove to Lake Maria State Park, outside of Monticello. The DNR website led us to believe that Lake Maria would be our best shot at fall colors in the greater Twin Cities area this weekend. Color-wise, it was disappointing, but it was very pretty.

We picked out a shaded picnic table next to the lake and spread out our lunch. Within a few minutes, we were joined by a bee, which settled on my shoulder. Oh, good; another educational opportunity. I told Emma that if I didn't bother the bee, it wouldn't bother me. Emma looked unconvinced. The bee, underscoring my point, left my shoulder and settled on the side of Kristi's nose. (Why didn't I take a picture?) Kristi started laughing uncontrollably, and Emma, sensing impending disaster, put about 50 feet between herself and the table. I tried blowing the bee off of Kristi's nose, but this only drove it closer to her nostril, and by now we were all laughing (except for Emma, who was busy explaining the crisis to another family picnicking nearby).

The bee finally decided left Kristi to settle on mom's apple, which we moved off of the table. Emma was eventually persuaded to rejoin us.

After lunch, Emma and I took a short walk up a nature trail. She saw what she called a "fairy house," a knothole in a tree at ground level, and wanted to show Kristi. So we went back, and I stayed with mom while Emma and Kristi took their walk. Just as they returned, the bee did too, and stung mom on the finger -- apparently without provocation. So much for the "don't bother the bee, it won't bother you" lesson. One antihistimine and an icepack later, we were on the road for home.

We spent last night eating and watching "The Princess Bride". Rented, damn it; you guys aren't helping at all.

Took mom to the airport early Sunday morning. She seemed very sad to be leaving, which I guess means the bee sting wasn't too terrible.