Sunday, September 11, 2005

A Break With Tradition

For the first time in 4 years, the Saint Paul Classic takes off this morning without me. I wrenched my knee last week, and then compounded the problem a couple of times by doing stupid things.

I might have tried it, but Kristi's working today -- which means I'd have had to pull Emma behind me on her tagalong thing. Three problems with that. First, she's getting too big for it. Second, she's developed a lazy streak, meaning I can't rely on her to stoke up hills. And third, the last time we used it (after hurting my knee initially; one of the previously-mentioned "stupid things"), she was actually dragging her feet on the pavement instead of pedaling. So risking my knee while pulling an additional 80 or 90 pounds of dead weight? Nope. Scooter will have the ride-blogging all to himself this year.

Everyone still gathered outside our house to ride down to St. Thomas; I went out there with my coffee cup to chat with them and see them off. Sad. But Emma and I will walk down to meet them for breakfast/brunch at St. Clair Broiler. Happy.