Monday, October 10, 2005

Sorry For The Non-Posting

Like you care.

Between work, Worth, my mom's visit, a busy week for Kristi (worked 8 of the last 10 days), an impending visit from Kristi's folks, and a very ill cat, blogging hasn't seemed all that terribly important.

We have managed to have a little fun, though. Kristi and I saw "Serenity" Saturday night. As much fun as I've had at a movie since, gosh, when? I don't know. Intelligent, funny, action-packed, exciting -- couldn't really ask for much more for my money. (Kristi liked it too.) And best of all, it took my mind completely off of my other troubles -- which is quite a feat.

Rambis is failing on us. We're not sure why, despite several hundreds of dollars of vet bills. She's more or less stopped eating and defecating, drinks very little, has limited bladder control, and is moving even worse than she has been (which hasn't been good). Tumors? General organ failure? We don't know. I'm spending as much time with her as I can, but with Kristi working so much, Emma has been demanding a lot of my time this last week.

Ram is 16. That's getting up there for a cat, and she's been overweight for so long that it's probably taken a year or two off of her life. But she's been happy, and up until now, healthy, for all of those years. She's had a full life for any cat: pedigreed island kitten, apartment cat, outdoor bunny-killing mouser, urban backyard queen. Scourge of vicious guard dogs, defender against peacocks and geese and, when she could be bothered with it, opossoms. Friend and benefactor of visiting toms (but not that way; get your mind out of the gutter). Incredibly patient (if not loving) companion to Emma and to Smudge, and in these last months, companion to Izzy as well. And as loyal a companion to me, all these years, as a cat could be. Heck, as loyal a companion as a dog could be, though she flat-out refused to learn to fetch, damn her.

I have friends who have much bigger problems to deal with right now, and many reasons for joy in my life. But for all that, it's hard to face losing her.