Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Vacation: Day 1 (August 3)

The start of our vacation chronicles. I'll be posting these intermittently over the next several days.

Despite our plans to leave relatively early, we don't escape St. Paul until well into the afternoon. We make it only as far as Council Bluffs, Iowa that night.

Driving through Madison County, Iowa, I note the lack of covered bridges on I-80. Kristi in turn observes that she hasn't seen many trucks on the road. Emma and I point out that the next nine vehicles to pass us going the other direction on I-80 are semis. "Truck, truck, truck, truck ...." Emma collapses in giggles. I outline my first novel: The Trucks of Madison County.

I don't remember what motel we stayed at in Council Bluffs, but whatever it was, it had a nice indoor pool and the very best continental breakfast we saw the entire trip. Hail to thee, o nameless Council Bluffs motel.

Approximate miles covered: 380 miles. The Yaris averages 40 mpg. We promptly stop keeping track of gas mileage, figuring it can only get worse when we hit mountains -- but damn. Go, Yaris.

Labels: