Monday, August 30, 2004

Re-Post

Riposte? Anyway, here's something I'd previously posted over at superman-tim.com:

Our House

It's a very very very fine house. Although this picture shows only one cat in the yard, trust me, there are usually two.

We're in the middle of remodeling the second floor (can you call it the second floor when it's a 1.5 story?). As you can see here, it's a cluttered mess. I framed in that cute little alcove to be just the right size for a full-size bed; now I'll have to build one in.

There's also this cozy nook where Kristi wants me to build a windowseat. The last time I built a windowseat was for a 9th-grade production of "Arsenic and Old Lace." Hopefully there won't be any dead bodies involved this time. The windows are the same ones visible from the front of the house.

The new upstairs bathroom still needs lots of work, but you can get a sense of what will happen. The far wall will be a glass-enclosed shower with a bench. My plan was subway tile; Kristi has veto power, though, and may be changing the design as I type. The vague blue rag barely visible through the dropcloth to the left marks the where the toilet will sit; the vanity will be to the left of that, invisible in this pic.

Meanwhile, not to be outdone, Emma has a new playhouse in the backyard. Her grandfather built it in pieces in Kingsburg and towed it out here, where we set the concrete footing, reassembled it, and roofed it. (Putting those shingles up, standing at the top of a rickety extension ladder rated 20 pounds less than my current weight, may have been the worst day of my life.) Here is a better shot of the base, and one of the spiral stairway entry.

(For Scooter's edification, the roof rafters were all originally cut the same length, which meant that the center rafter on each side extended past the roofline and needed to be cut off with a Sawzall.)