Thursday, September 02, 2004

Happy Birthday

Today's my dad's birthday. He would've been 78. He died in 1999, a month before Emma turned one.

Happy birthday, Dad.

Dad wasn't a perfect father. He had a sometimes-fierce temper, and unfortunately lacked some of the self-control that would be a useful balance to that temper. I can remember him getting into a fight with a neighbor when I was a child. He delivered spankings, as well, but I can also remember being hit by him in anger at least once.

Only after he died did I hear the story about him hitting a customer -- dad was a pharmaceutical salesman, a "detailman", and the customer was a pharmacist. Apparently this cost him his job. Later, in his follow-up career as a jewelry store manager and gemologist, he carried a revolver, and drew it more than once in situations that didn't necessarily call for it.

There was also the "road rage" incident, which I witnessed, and which I'll save for another time.

I've never been tempted to hit anyone here at work, and I can't imagine being that close to the edge. It's a good thing. But I think about dad when I'm having the janglies. I wonder if he felt something similar, though stronger. And I try to understand him, and learn from that understanding how to be a better father.

I think he'd like that -- because his anger did not make him any less a good man. (Kristi loved him, and she's not always the easiest person to impress.) He was always quick to volunteer help whenever I needed it, or when anyone else did. Nothing made him happier than fixing things, especially when he was doing it for someone else. And most importantly, he always respected my choices as an adult, and always made clear that he wanted me to be happy.

Thanks, Dad. I'll be thinking of you a lot today.