Saturday, September 04, 2004

I Don't Like Tuesdays

I'm the worst kind of sports fan. I readily admit it. To be more specific, I'm not really a sports fan at all. I have two teams to which I'm very loyal in theory -- the Lakers and the Dodgers -- but in fact, I don't really follow them.

This is due in part to circumstance. If I were living in California, I'd probably follow both of them religiously. Here in the upper Midwest, it's a little difficult. The two-hour time difference to the West Coast means that games in California start around the time I go to sleep. Not that it matters, since we don't have cable anyway, or XM, or any of those other newfangled technological whizbang thingies.

Even though I don't follow the Lakers or Dodgers, I at least maintain some knowledge of what's happening during their respective seasons. But football? Eh. You may have noticed that I didn't mention following a football team. Thanks to Georgia Frontiere, I don't have a football team; haven't had one in a long time.

So why the hell do I run a fantasy football league?

It's all Kevin's fault. Bastard stuck me with it when he left West. And it won't die.

CDFFL was fun the first year I ran it. Last year was hellacious; Yahoo stopped providing stats, the site that claimed it would provide stats flaked in so many ways. Getting through the first two weeks was miserable. And after that, I still had to write something every week -- which is hard when you can't even remember what team Michael Vick plays for without looking it up. Tuesday mornings were awful.

This year, I'm thinking, is going to be just as bad. If I seem particularly grumpy (or worse) on Tuesdays, now you know why.