Monday, July 04, 2005

Blogus Interruptus

Scooter has finally noticed my absence. Hallelujah.

Those of you who keep up on my life in ways other than this blog are aware of why I took a little time off. It's not something I'm going to be blogging about, so the rest of you can just remain in the dark, I suppose. Trust me when I say that you're not missing all that much.

Why I'm Glad I Don't Live In Nebraska

Let's say, hypothetically, that I did live in Nebraska, in a little town outside of Omaha, and that I were the plaintiff in a lawsuit to get my town to remove a Ten Commandments monument from a park in my little town. And let's say, hypothetically, that I wanted to sue anonymously as John Doe, because I'd already been threatened over my views on the subject of church/state separation. And let's say that the City Attorney defending the lawsuit agreed to allow me to proceed as a John Doe, presumably because the City Attorney found my reasons justified.

Let's suppose that I won, and that the city appealed, and that the case was currently before the appellate court. And let's suppose that, while the case was thus still in progress, and even though I wasn't granting any interviews about the case (in an effort to maintain my anonymity), the Omaha newspaper decided to publish my name.

And my picture.

And a picture of my license plate (and the model of my car).

And where I work. And my party affiliation. And my marital status, and the approximate age of my child.

If it were me, I might be thinking about leaving Nebraska quickly and quietly. And you know, I'm guessing that's exactly what the folks at the newspaper had in mind. Here's the story; you can log in as omahayuck@mailinator.com with password of omahayuck to read it.