Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Rambis: 1989-2005


She had a purr you could hear two rooms away. She never, ever met a person she didn't like. Through thick and thin, she was, by any standard, the best of cats.

I spoke with Ram's vet today, after she had consulted with their radiologist. Basically, they felt her cancer was inoperable, in the sense that any surgery that left her with any bladder and ureter would be almost certain to miss some of it. It wouldn't have mattered; both Kristi and I agreed today that there was no way she could have survived anesthesia, chemo or radiation. She was unable to walk and had pretty much given up trying; nor was she eating or drinking. So I made the decision for both of us.

The vet came to the house at 4:00 this afternoon. Everyone had time to say their goodbyes. I held Ram in my arms as the vet put her to sleep, and long after. Kristi dug a grave for her, in a favorite sunny spot along the south (back) foundation, between a peony and a young lilac. The lilac will someday shade the spot, but by then she'll be one with it, and it won't matter. In the meantime, I'm certain there's no place she'd have preferred to rest.