Sunday, September 05, 2004

Can't I Have One Stinking Constant In My Life?

When I was younger, I wore Levi's 501s exclusively. Later, when I got tired of the whole button-fly thing, I switched to 505s. For the past seven or eight years I've been in 'relaxed' 550s, wearing the same size all of that time. It hasn't relaxed me, but at least I'm comfortably stressed.

You'd think that something that stays constant for the better part of a decade would continue to do so, wouldn't you?

I'm not talking about all of the different 'flavors' of 550s available now -- the various degrees of pre-fadedness, the khakis and olives and blacks. They can add colors all they want, as long as they still offer basic blue denim 550s. Constancy.

Some months back, Kristi was going to be at Kohl's, and I asked her to pick up a couple of pairs. She came home with the requested two pairs, each my size, each blue denim. And each completely and utterly different from the other.

It seems that a pair of 550s made in the Dominican Republic is different from a pair made in Honduras, or South Africa, or Egypt, or Hungary. Yeah, they make them in all of those places, and more. The fabric's different, the cut is different, the inseam length is different. And horror of horrors, the trademark 'v' stitching on the back pockets is different.

We were at Sears today, and I picked through about 15 pairs my size until I found one whose denim was still stiff, and whose cut was the same one I've comfortably fit into for years. Turns out they were made in Mexico. Gracias, amigos.