Monday, March 27, 2006

Normal Again

I hope. Emma survived school today, I more or less survived work, and Kristi should be home with Chipotle burritos any time now. :) The computer room is finally mostly reassembled -- still a bit messy, but functional and bright and cheery -- and that means I can post pictures pretty much any time I feel like getting around to it. (Soooooon.) It also means the laptop will be getting lonely; I'm going to have to make a deliberate effort to take it out and warm it up occasionally. As soon as the weather warms up enough to Saturday-morning blog from the front porch by the fountain, that'll change.

Recent reading: Scooter loaned me John Scalzi's Old Man's War. Highly recommended; it's very (and very deliberately) Heinlein-esque, but in a good way. Most of Heinlein's post-Time Enough For Love work left me cold; this is the kind of book he could have, and should have, been writing: Starship Troopers all growed up. Boring Fact: back in the early 1990s Scalzi was the movie reviewer for the Fresno Bee. When he left to write for AOL, I wrote him a "thanks for all the great reviews" email, because he really was a reviewer I mostly agreed with. Old Man's War contains oblique references to Fresno, Bakersfield and Modesto.

Recent movie: Junebug. It was funny and sad and sweet, and recommended.