Saturday, July 01, 2006

Saturday Thoughts

I haven't blogged much about politics, war, etc. lately.

Partly, it's because I went through a long period of not blogging much about anything.

Partly, it's because I recognize that many people have different viewpoints than mine. And while such people are clearly idiots, I don't want to offend them.

Partly, it's because so many fine bloggers do so much better a job than I do, or ever could, of finding the nuggets of truth and/or comedy gold in this world we live in.

But mostly, it's sheer mental overload. Most of the time I'm simply so flabbergasted by the idiocy of our government, and of the media that supposedly exists to keep it in check, that I find myself at a loss for words -- at least until many other bloggers have beaten the subject to death, and then it's hard to find motivation to add my two cents for the 15 people who might actually read what I've written.

Example of what just left me unable to speak, much less blog, until the moment was long past: Republican senators stood up on the House floor on June 15th to praise the possible granting of amnesty to Iraqis who kill U.S. troops -- comparing it to the granting of amnesty to Confederate fighters and the German and Japanese armies after World War II. No attention was paid to the fact that, in those cases, hostilities were over. Talk about amnesty to the parents of Spc. Jeremiah S. Santos, who was killed by a roadside bomb on the same day that Ted Stevens, Lamar Alexander and others praised granting amnesty to those who planted the bomb. Talk about amnesty to the families of couple of dozen other U.S. soldiers who have died since.

I don't have a problem with amnesty after we're out of Iraq. But am I wrong, or is it just insane for these senators to, in essence, give a pass to people killing U.S. soldiers while those soldiers are still being killed? If they want amnesty granted, fine: withdraw our troops. But oh, no -- even suggest that, and you're Jane Fonda wearing a Mao cap and a Che Guevara t-shirt while burning a flag.

Yes, in today's America, if you served your country honorably but advocate pulling the troops out of Iraq, you're a coward, an appeasor, or a traitor (I'm not sure exactly which one Texas representative Louis Gohmert was calling John Murtha, but it doesn't really matter, does it?). If, on the other hand, you advocate amnesty for the people killing those troops on a daily basis, you're ... what? A Republican Senator?

Don't get me started on the House voting itself a pay raise while striking down an increase in the minimum wage.