Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hold!

I've been watching the Saint Paul library's online catalog daily to see when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows showed up, so that I could place a hold on it ASAP. It showed up last week, but the website reported that "There is no publication date for this work in progress," and refused to let me place a hold. Fine. So I kept checking daily. And Friday, it still said "There is no publication date for this work in progress," but there were also five holds, and I still couldn't place one.

Kristi's theory was that it was library staff getting a jump on the public. I didn't like the theory much, but what the heck. I continued watching, and today it got up to 15 holds, and I got annoyed. So I called. Turns out there's something wrong with their online catalog, and those holds were all placed either in the library or on the phone. So I'm number 16 in the system. Since they're guaranteed to get more than 16 copies, I should get it fairly quickly. And then I'll read it to Emma.

I love libraries. I really do.

Labels: